How To Make The Perfect Punch
A timeless favourite, the classic punch has been an essential for dinner parties, functions and events for many years, thanks to its delicious taste and easy-to-serve nature. With sweet, tart, cold and hot varieties, there are endless flavours and tastes sure to wow your guests!
A bowl or jug of punch is a must-have solution for relaxed entertaining, simply serve up a batch or two of your selected mouth-watering concoction to avoid having to take guest’s orders throughout the night, leaving more time for you to relax, mingle and have fun!
If you’re worried about how to make the perfect blend of ingredients for a subtle yet delicious happy-hour kick, a great tip is to include five essential ingredients from all types of flavour categories for an amazing balance. This includes something strong, weak, sour and sweet with a hint of spice.
The strong flavour typically added is the alcohol, so this could be wine or a spirit (like vodka or gin) matched with a subtle flavour like juice, water or soft drink. For sour, citrus flavours are your go-to, including cranberry, orange or lemon/lime. Sweet flavours can include everything from vanilla, berries, chocolate or a sweet liqueur.
Top it all off with added spice like nutmeg, ginger or cinnamon for that great kick!
Need some inspiration for making the perfect punch? Check out these recipes:
Apple, Orange and Lemon Punch
- 2 cups apple juice, chilled
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice, chilled
- 2 cups dry ginger ale, chilled
- 3 cups lemonade, chilled
- 2/3 cup vodka
- 125g strawberries, hulled, diced
- Ice to serve
- Combine apple juice, orange juice, dry ginger ale and lemonade in a large jug.
- Add vodka, strawberries and ice. Serve.
Strawberry Apple Punch
- 2 x 250g punnets fresh strawberries, washed, hulled
- 3 cups diet lemonade, chilled
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice, chilled
- 2 cups sparkling natural mineral water, chilled
- 1 cup freshly brewed tea, cooled
- 1 bunch mint, leaves picked
- Ice to serve
- Place half the strawberries in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a punch bowl or serving jug. Chop the remaining strawberries nice and fine and add a jug or bowel of choice.
- Once you’ve done this, add in the lemonade, juice, mineral water, tea and mint to the bowl or jug and stir to combine. Serve with ice.
Do you have any great punch recipes? Let us know in the comments below.