Homemade Flour Tortilla Chips
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 1 tub Chris’ Festivale Southern Smashed Avocado & Fetta Dip
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Extra salt to season
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, 1 tsp. salt, and baking powder until combined. Using your hands combine shortening with flour mixture until it is the consistency of corn meal. Using a faucet, bring water to warm and slowly mix in with the flour mixture. Mix until the dough all comes together.
- Next, place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces and place on a spare plate and cover with a slightly dampened towel
- Heat a medium sized skillet to medium high heat.
- On a floured surface, take each dough ball and flatten out with a well floured rolling pin, should be paper thin. Transfer to hot skillet and cook until slightly browned, will bubble. Flip and cook both sides Approx. 30-45 seconds per side.
- Keep in a warmed tortilla container or warm plate. Until ready to use as tortilla or to begin making chips.
- Once all of your tortillas are ready, preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- On a cutting board, use a pastry brush to lightly brush oil onto each tortilla, stacking as you go. Once you have about 10 stacked, using a sharp knife, cut through the tortillas making 4 cuts to make 8 even chips.
- On a large baking sheet, arrange cut tortilla chips in a single layer. Season with salt. Bake for 11-13 minutes until they begin to turn golden brown on the edges. Let cool and repeat for remaining tortillas.
- Serve with dip!